- Cook the potatoes in a pan of lightly salted boiling water for 10 minutes. When soft, drain and peel them, mash with a potato masher or fork then set aside.
- Now in a frying pan,melt the butter. Add mushrooms along with garlic and stir to cook for 5 minutes.
- Stir mushroom-garlic mixture into the potato, also add beaten egg and chives. Season with salt and black pepper then mix gently to combine.
- Divide the mixture equally into 4 portions and give them round cake shape. Nicely coat all four of them in flour from the outsides.
- Heat oil in a frying pan. Place potato cakes and shallow fry over a medium heat for 10 minutes or until they are golden brown, turning them over halfway through.
- Serve them hot, with any of your favorite sauce.