- Crush garlic clove, thinly slice onion and set aside.
- Take a large, heavy-based saucepan, melt butter in it then add garlic and onion. Fry at low heat until soft but not colored. Then put pumpkin and toss with the onion for 3 minutes.
- Put the vegetable soup and cook at a medium heat until it boils.
- Add seasoning, lemon juice, ginger and bay leaves. Cook covered for 20 minutes at low heat, or until the pumpkin is tender.
- Discard the bay leaves. Let the soup chill slightly then blend until smooth and ladle into a saucepan.
- Now add in the milk and reheat gently; adjust the seasoning, garnish with a swirl of cream or natural yogurt before serving.