- Heat oilve oil in large saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Add onion and cook until tender, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in garlic and chili powder and cook 1 minute longer.
- Stir in beans and chicken broth and cook until beans are warmed through, about 5 minutes.
- Mash beans with a potato masher or the back of the wooden spoon, adding more broth if needed.
- Season mixture with salt and pepper and stir in cilantro.
- Serve with corn or flour tortillas, if desired.
- This can also be used as a base in a layered dip.