- Chop the ginger.
- In a large bowl, cream together the margarine and sugar until light and fluffy. Stir in the molasses. Mix the water and baking soda and stir.
- Sift together the flour, salt, and dry spices; add gradually to the sugar-margarine mixture. Gradually stir the sifted ingredients, along with the ginger and raisins, into the molasses mixture.
- Shape dough into walnut sized balls, and roll them in the remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar.
- The dough may be too soft to handle at this point. Add a bit of flour, or refrigerate for 20 minutes or even overnight.
- Place the cookies 2 inches apart onto an ungreased cookie sheet, and flatten slightly.
- Bake at 350°F for 10-12 minutes. Ready to serve.