- Chop an onion, celery, carrot, turnip and place aside.
- Rinse the peas through cold water. Place peas in a bowl with half cup water and leave to soak all night.
- Take a pan and add peas, their liquid and remaining water together with onion, celery, carrots, turnip, ham meat, thyme, basil, bay leaves and spices. Let boil slowly on low heat.
- Remove the scum from surface, if any. Cover lid and maintain to simmer on medium heat for 2 1/2 hours until peas become softened.
- Throw out the thyme, basil and bay leaves, ham meat as well. Cut 1 cup meat into strips and chop it properly.
- Now add chopped meat and white wine to the soup with seasonings. Bring to boil again and let simmer for 4 minutes. Now Serve hot into warmed soup bowls.