- Peel potatoes and cut into slices about 1/4 inch thick; set aside.
- In a large heavy frying pan fry bacon slowly until browned and crisp; remove bacon from pan.
- Drain and crumble.
- Add butter to drippings in pan and saute onion and garlic over medium heat until golden, about 5 minutes.
- Add potatoes, salt, pepper and thyme; continue cooking, turning with a wide spatula until potatoes are lightly browned, about 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle diced tomatoes over potatoes, reduce heat to low, cover and cook until potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes. Turn occasionally.
- Serve garnished with parsley and crumbled bacon.