- Heat oven to 375°F.
- Combine flours, baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg and salt in large bowl.
- Cut in butter until mixture is the texture of coarse bread crumbs.
- Add currants, walnuts and 2 tablespoons sugar and toss to mix evenly.
- Stir in buttermilk with a fork until a soft dough forms.
- Shape dough into a ball on a lightly floured surface.
- Divide into 2 parts and shape into 2 round balls.
- Press into 6-inch rounds and place on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Cut each round into 6 wedges, but do not separate the wedges.
- Brush with beaten egg white and sprinkle with 2 teaspoons sugar.
- Bake for 20 to 22 minutes until golden brown.
- Break into wedges and serve warm.