- Finely chop the onions, tomatoes and garlic, set aside.
- In a large sauce pan, heat oil and butter, add chopped onions, stir occasionally for 5 minutes, add chopped tomatoes along with garlic.
- Then add stock, water, wine and tomato paste.
- Stir well then season with salt and pepper.
- Bring to boil and cover, let it simmer for 20 minutes, keep stirring occasionally.
- In a blender, pour in the soup with fresh basil and process until smooth.
- Press through a sieve in a sauce pan.
- Now add cream and keep stirring, do not boil as this will curdle the cream.
- Check the seasonings at this step.
- Pour into bowls and garnish with fresh basil to serve!