- Preheat the grill to hot. Halve then de-seed the sweet pepper, Chop onion, celery and garlic.
- Arrange halved sweet pepper on the grill rack then cook while turning occasionally, for 8-10 minutes until softened and charred.
- Leave to cool slightly, then carefully peel off the charred skin. Reserving a small piece for garnish, chop the sweet pepper flesh and place in a large saucepan.
- Mix in onion, celery and garlic. Add vegetable soup and bay leaf. Bring to boil, cover and let simmer for 15 minutes. Then remove from heat.
- Stir in tomatoes and transfer the mixture into a blender. Process for a few seconds until smooth. Return to the saucepan. Season to taste and heat for 3-4 minutes until piping hot.
- Ladle into warm bowls, garnish with reserved sweet pepper cut into strips and spring onions floating on top.