- Cream butter in large mixing bowl. Add sugar, beat until light and fluffy.
- Beat in egg, lemon peel and vanilla until well blended. Gradually mix in flour and salt until well blended.
- Beat in water, a few drops at a time, only until dough starts to come away from sides of bowl.
- Shape dough into large flat disk, wrap and refrigerate for 2 to 3 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 F degrees. Roll the dough on lightly floured surface to 1/8-inch thickness.
- Cut with cookie cutters dipped in flour. Place on buttered cookie sheets.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until cookies begin to brown around the edges. Carefully remove from cookie sheets and cool completely on wire racks.
- For decoration, sprinkle colored sugar over them before baking.