- Place the lentils, turmeric, salt and water in a large saucepan. Bring it to boil, skimming off any surface scum that collects on the top.
- Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, until the lentils are cooked, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Transfer to a serving bowl, cover the bowl and keep warm.
- In a medium saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat.
- Add the crushed garlic cloves and sauté until golden brown, add the cumin seeds—they should sizzle upon contact with the hot oil, quickly add the slices of an onion and zucchini and cook for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add the ground coriander and cumin and continue to cook until the zucchini is cooked, about 10 minutes.
- Remove the pan form the heat, add the paprika, and immediately pour over the hot lentils.
- Swirl lightly to mix and sprinkle on the fresh chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve with your choice of breads or rice.