Omega 3 Rich Indian Recipes That You Must Try
Omega 3 is polyunsaturated fatty acids that our body requires for proper functioning and we can’t get them through foods. It has a wide range of potential benefits and is known to reduce the risk of heart disease, lessen the symptoms of depression, and fight inflammation. If you want to increase your intake of omega 3 but are hesitant to try fish oil capsules or fish oil tablets then you definitely need to try these Omega 3 rich recipes that will help you to increase your Omega 3 intake.
- Flax Seed Raita
Flaxseed raita is a side dish that you can enjoy with the main course. It is a healthy dish because of the goodness of flax seeds, yogurt, and bottle gourd. Yogurt is a good source of calcium, and easy to digest, bottle gourd is good for the digestive system and flax seeds are loaded with Omega-3 fatty acid. This raita is not only delicious but very healthy, and goes best with the biryani, naan, and pulao.
To make this recipe you need 2 cups grated bottle gourd, 1/2 cup water, 3 tbsp flaxseed, 2 cup yogurt, 1 tbsp cumin seeds, 1 tbsp sugar, and salt as required. For garnishing use 10 coriander leaves.
How To Make:
- Roast the cumin seeds and flax seeds, let them cool, and grind them into a powder. Keep it aside.
- Keep a pan on medium heat and add 1/2 cup water and grated bottle gourd. Stir the mixture and let it cook for 6 to 7 minutes. Let it cool.
- Now take a big bowl, beat the yogurt in it until smooth, and then add the cumin and flax seed powder, sugar and mix again.
- Add the cooked bottle gourd and stir the mixture gently, refrigerate it for some time and garnish it with the coriander leaves.
- Indian Salmon Curry
This curry is easy to make at home, you can have it with quinoa, brown rice, white rice, and chapati. Salmon is a good source of Omega 3 fatty acids. To prepare this delicious recipe you need salmon, onion, garlic, tomatoes, oil, and spices like coriander powder, cumin powder, turmeric powder, and chili powder,
How To Make:
- Wash the salmon pieces, shallow fry them and smear with a pinch of salt and turmeric powder. When it turns golden brown, keep it aside.
- Take a pan and saute the sliced onion, until golden brown. Then add the crushed garlic and chilies to it and saute them until the garlic becomes soft.
- Add finely chopped tomatoes to it and crush them to make a mushy paste. Cover the pan and cook for a couple of minutes.
- Mix all the spices and saute them on medium-low heat for about 2 minutes. Now add warm water to simmer the curry sauce on low heat for 2 to3 minutes.
- Add the fried salmon to the curry sauce and give it a quick boil for 1 to 2 minutes and garnish it with the chopped coriander leaves and enjoy.
- Soy Dosa
If you are looking for a healthy, quick recipe then this protein-loaded soy dosa recipe is what you need. Plus, it is easy to make. Soy flour is a good source of minerals, protein, fiber, and omega 3 fatty acids. It is the only plant protein that contains the same protein quality as eggs or meat. You need 1/4 cup of each soy flour, white urad dal (soaked overnight), 3/4 cup rice water, 1 cup water, sunflower oil, or salt.
How To Make:
- To make a protein-rich soy dosa recipe, soak urad dal in water for atleast 4 hours or overnight. Drain the water and grind them into a fine paste using 1/4 cup of water.
- Combine rice flour, urad dal, and soya flour in a large bowl.
- Add 3/4 cup of water to the flour and combine to get the consistency of dosa batter. Adjust water if required.
- Season the batter using salt.
- Take a dosa tawa, heat it. Once the tawa is hot, pour on the heated tawa and spread it in a circular motion.
- Spread little oil on the dosa and along the edges. Cook it until both sides become light brown.
- Repeat the same procedure to make more dosas.
- Serve it with chutney.
- Gluten-free Chocolate Flax Cookie
This cookie is highly nutritious and delicious. To make this recipe you need 1 cup flax seed meal, 1/2 cup of each sugar, baking powder, and cocoa powder, 1/4 cup melted butter, 2 tbsp milk, and a handful of raisins and almonds.
How To Make:
- Mix cocoa powder, flax meal, baking powder, sugar, almond, and raisins in a bowl.
- Add melted butter to the mixture and mix well. Then put in 1, then 2 tbsp of milk until you get a crumbly mixture that can be moulded.
- Use a cookie scoop or hands to mold the dough into a cookie shape and place in a non-stick baking pan.
- Bake it at 350 F for at least 9 to10 minutes. Let them cool and serve.
Have you tried any of these recipes? Feel free to share your experience with us in the comments section below.