Alcohol is legal but frequent consumption can lead to addiction and other harmful effects. A good number of people engage in social and recreational drinking which results in them drinking larger amounts of alcohol and more often. These kinds of people are not able to relax or have fun without drinking alcohol. They often engage in binge drinking. Binge drinking can be defined differently based on gender. To the females, it is drinking more than four drinks in a setting whereas to males it is drinking more than five in a setting.
However, you may come to a realization, go through the process of recovery, and lead a healthier life. Overcoming an alcohol-drinking problem is not easy and you will need to adopt a healthy approach to recover completely. As an addict, you will have to evaluate some of the benefits and costs of consuming alcohol. It is evident that the costs you incur due to drinking will outweigh the benefits you get.
- Medication: If you are planning to overcome a drinking problem it is important to consult a medical practitioner. This is because there are effects that come with alcohol withdrawal. For instance, you may experience seizures that may result to a serious problem. this may cause you to go back to drinking yet you want to quit. It is therefore important to consult a physician who can prescribe some medication in case the seizures occur. The medications they prescribe will help you in treating the problem.
- Detoxification: This medical intervention helps you with eliminating withdrawal symptoms. A physician will administer benzodiazepine and monitor you to ensure you experience less or no withdrawal symptoms. The physician will administer it severally to ensure you can completely relax without drinking alcohol.
- Intervention: This is one of the best approaches that can help you in alcohol addiction recovery. Your friends and relatives may find it wise to approach you and discuss how the problem is affecting everyone. They will help you in getting over it through guidance and counseling. Your friends and relatives will perform the intervention after proper preparation and planning. They will show some concern by coming up with various treatment options that can help you.
There is no formal treatment for alcohol addiction but there are organizations that collect information on drug abuse, diagnose and come up with strategies to treat the problem. When you realize your binge-drinking problem, it is important that you consult a professional mental health consultant. You should not find shame in seeking assistance as it is a significant strength, acceptance and readiness to solve your issue. The following are some healthy approaches that can help you in overcoming alcoholism.
Your family can also get a professional interventionalist to handle the situation. This will help to enhance the success of the recovery process. this is because the mental health worker will definitely have the right knowledge and experience in such issues.
4. Therapy: Addiction is mostly considered as a brain disease. It interferes with your personal life and brings about many behavioral and social effects. Treatment of addiction is very individual because if one method worked for another person it may not necessarily work for you. Behavioral therapy is one of the best approaches to treating addiction.
Behavioral therapy works in a way that it helps you to change the way you act by modifying how you think. Addiction is viewed as self-destructive behavior that can be corrected. A therapist will seek to know why you started consuming alcohol and the reasons behind the trigger. Your therapist will help you overcome these problems and lead a better life. They can organize the therapy sessions as you reside in the premises or on an outpatient basis.
Prior to getting addiction treatment from a health practitioner, there are some basic things you need to know.
5. The type of licensing and accreditation the program possess. It is important to get a program that is nationally accredited. The physicians should also be licensed by the state. This will help you to be guaranteed authentic treatment.
6. Whether the program uses empirically validated methods of treatment. Inquiring for the type of methods the program uses will help you to have an effective treatment.
7. Whether the treatment is personalized. Prior to starting the treatment program, it is important to know whether it has succeeded in treating addicts and how they do it. this will help you to enroll in a program that meets your specifications.
8. Whether the program offers a holistic approach. The program you enrol for should be able to address all your needs. These include spiritual, medical, psychological and social needs. the program should be able to meet all these needs.
9. Does the program allow family involvement? It is important that you go for a program that will allow your family to be involved in the process. this is because your family is a crucial support system.