Hormone replacement therapy (HRT), which is also known as menopausal hormone therapy (MHT) can help balance estrogen and progesterone and relief symptoms of sweating, hot flashes around the time of menopause.
As you approach the menopausal phase, your ovaries make less estrogen and progesterone, the two hormones that control your monthly periods’ cycle. These two hormones also maintain the health of your bones, heart, and vagina. Hormone replacement therapy is required to ease the symptoms of menopause. Some types of hormone replacement therapy involves the replacement of just estrogen or progesterone hormone, sometimes both of them.
The symptoms that might require hormone replacement are vasomotor symptoms – (hot flashes, night sweats, sleep disturbances) and urogenital symptoms (vaginal dryness and urogenital atrophy). Replacing harmful hormones with the new one made in a lab (Bio-identical replacement therapy) can ease the symptoms of menopause, but its benefits are many.
With the risks attached to the hormonal imbalance, many people are considering Hormone replacement therapy for the betterment of their health. Scientists and doctors are still arguing about the benefits of this therapy. With the advancement in science and technology, and as well as the development of new drugs in the market, here are more of the benefits outweighing the risk, telling us why we should go for hormone replacement therapy (HRT):
- Lose unwanted belly fat
Weight gain is associated with the menopausal state and as well as age. Many people gain weight with their age, gaining 0.5 to 1 pounds every year. Pre and menopausal stage brings in obesity and weight gain in general. Women are very conscious of their weight and the increasing inches in their size. Most of the weight gain in the body at this age is around the belly. Belly fat can come due to several other reasons as well. It can be due to the underlying cause of diabetes, high blood pressure, and low metabolic rate. With the correct hormone replacement therapy by the experts, you can eradicate the extra belly fat in your body, and it can lead you to feel and look better.
- Healthy bones
One of the main reasons why people go for hormone replacement therapy is that they can reach a state where they can face severe Osteoporosis if not taken care of. Hence, the proper form of hormone replacement therapy by professionals can eradicate Osteoporosis if done at an early stage. This therapy can give you a better lifestyle with healthy bones.
- Higher energy levels
We are well aware of the fact that estrogen and progestin hormones help in the proper working of heart and bones as well. Similarly, these two hormones control our body energy levels and assist in maintaining a decent lifestyle. Hormone replacement therapy brings in the benefits of higher energy levels along with other benefits that you might be looking for.
- Healthy Heart & Increased muscle strength
As mentioned earlier, the two hormones control your health to a greater extent. Excess belly fat is a risk factor for diabetes and heart disease. With the replacement of hormones, you can expect your heart and muscles in proper working order. Muscles get affected if there is a problem in any of the two hormones, estrogen, and progestogen. The heart is a muscular organ responsible for regulating blood in your body. With hormone replacement therapy, you can expect better heart conditions and greater muscle strength to maintain an active lifestyle.
- Mental clarity
Women and men who are going through the disturbed hormones could be facing a lot of problems, including mental clarity and alertness. People who undergo hormone replacement therapy can get rid of insomnia and have a better mental state. HRT will make them more mentally alert, better reflexes, more energetic, and an active lifestyle.
Those who are opting for HRT and thinking which type to go for, following is the list of the types of therapy for your prior knowledge:
Types of HRT:
There are more than 50 types of HRT available, which are given orally through tablets, through the skin, a long-lasting implant, or vagina.
– Cyclical hormone replacement therapy mimics the normal menstrual cycle, in which estrogen is taken every day and progestogen for 12 to 14 days only.
– Oestrogen only hormone replacement therapy is prescribed to those who have had their uterus removed (hysterectomy). The progestogen protects the uterus lining.
– Continuous combined therapy HRT (CCT), is a combination of estrogen and progesterone prescribed continuously to achieve period free hormone replacement therapy. Usually, patients start from cyclical hormone replacement and shift towards continuous combined therapy.
– Tibolone is a periods-free Hormone replacement therapy taken in the tablet form, that may have similar benefits as CCT.
– More prolonged cycle hormone replacement therapy is a formulation of withdrawal bleeding after every three months instead of every month. It is suitable for those who suffer side effects after taking progestogen.
– Localized estrogen therapy is performed through vaginal tablets, creams, or rings. It is basically for urogenital treatment, such as bladder problems or other types of infections.
The Final Words
To remain healthy, you need a full-body steadiness. It is essential to consult your physician before you start any home remedies or over the counter medications.
Leave a Reply