It’s no secret that Brazilians are curvy in all the right places. This Brazilian workout routine focuses on high-intensity exercises designed specifically to lift, shape and firm your booty.
Add these exercises into your workout routine to get that bootylicious backside you’ve always wanted. (Scroll down for the infographic to see how its done).
1. Sumo Squats
A wider stance will automatically emphasize hamstring and glute work;
- So stand with your feet a step more than shoulder width apart.
- Utilizing the weight of a barbell or dumbbells if you want to make the exercise more difficult, tighten your abs and squat down until your thighs are parallel to the floor.
- Slowly stand back up and repeat for two sets of 10 squats each.
- Begin with your feet facing forward at shoulder width apart and squat down until your thighs are parallel with the floor.
- Tightening your core for balance, place your right hand lightly on the ground and take a large step backwards with your left foot, so that you are in a low lunge.
- Hold the pose for two seconds and then stand back up.
- Practice the other side and continue alternating for ten lunges.
3. Explosive Lunge
- Start in a typical lunge pose, with your right foot forward and bent 90 degrees at the knee and your left foot extended behind your body.
- Tighten your core and propel yourself upwards with your right foot, so that you are jumping in the air.
- Switch feet mid-jump and land in a lunge, with your left foot forward.
- Repeat for two sets of 5 reps each.
The Explosive Lunge is a high intensity exercise, but it also gets results quickly – while it is great to practice once or twice a week, be sure to keep your routine within personal limits.
4. Squat with Kickback
- Stand with your feet shoulder width apart and your entire body facing forward.
- Squat down with your weight on your heels, until your thighs are parallel to the floor.
- Tightening your core for balance, swing your right leg back at the hips and straighten your knee, so that you are balancing on your left foot.
- Hold the position for a second and then resume squatting position.
- Repeat with the right leg for ten reps and then switch legs.
5. Romanian Dumbbell Lift
- Stand straight, holding a dumbbell in your left hand, with your feet at shoulder width apart.
- Lift your right leg up and back with your knee straight and lean your torso forward, until your torso and right leg form a straight line and are parallel to the floor.
- You should feel the tension in your right hamstring and glute, and when you do, swing your leg back down and stand back straight up.
- Repeat with each leg 10 times.
6. Dumbbell Steps
- Holding a dumbbell in each hand by your side, stand facing a step with your feet at shoulder width apart.
- Step up onto a stair with your right foot and stand holding yourself up with the one leg for a second, before lowering yourself back to the floor.
- Repeat 15 times on each foot.
7. Kettlebell Swings
- Squat down low, with your feet a step wider than shoulder width apart, holding a kettlebell in your hands between your legs.
- Quickly swing the kettlebell up with your arms and straighten your knees, so that you are standing with the kettlebell at face height.
- Squat back down and repeat for two sets of 10 reps each.
- Kettlebell swings are ideal for toning and shaping your butt, as well as exercising your core and shoulder muscles.
8. Exercise Ball Leg Curls
- Grab an exercise ball and lie down on the floor with your feet lifted and resting on the top of the ball.
- Pressing your heels directly into the ball, lift your butt up, so that your body forms a straight diagonal line.
- Tighten both your abs and your glutes and then bend your knees, rolling the ball forward until your body is almost vertical.
- Hold the position for a second, and then roll the ball back out with your feet and lower your body back to the floor.
- Repeat two sets of 10 curls each.
9. Side Lunges
- Begin standing with your feet at shoulder width apart and your entire body facing forward.
- Take a large step to the right with your right foot and lean down over your right heel.
- If you correctly resist the urge to balance your weight over your toes, you should feel tension in your glute and hamstring.
- Lift yourself back up to standing position and then repeat with the left foot.
- Practice each side ten times and add dumbbells to the workout if the task seems too easy.
10. Leg Lift
The leg lift is simple, but powerful for those glutes and quads.
- Stand with your feet at shoulder width apart and lift your right foot a couple feet off the floor, keeping your leg straight, but your knees not locked.
- With your foot in the air, bend your left knee and lower your body about six inches, before straightening your left leg once again.
- Repeat 10 times without dropping your right foot to the floor and then switch and do the same with your left foot.