Before we dive into the high intensity 10-minute medicine ball Tabata workout, know that the key to maximizing your calorie burn (over the course of the workout) is performing each exercise 20 seconds on, 10 seconds off, and repeating for 2 minutes for each exercise.
1. Medicine Ball Slam
This exercises targets your full body.
- Begin by grabbing a soft medicine ball.
- Then, raise the medicine ball overhead, extending your arms as high as possible—it’s essential that you maintain a flexed core and straight back—then bringing the ball back down, throw it as hard as you can at the ground.
- Pick up the ball and repeat the motion until you’ve hit 20 seconds.
- Give yourself 10 seconds off.
- Then get back to it for another 20-second/10-second rest rotation until you’ve clocked 2 minutes.
- Stay strong; it’s on to the next exercise!
2. Medicine Ball Burpee
- Begin holding a medicine ball (with two hands) with your feet planted shoulder width apart, and then quickly jump as high as you can, while extending your arms and medicine ball upwards overhead.
- As you land, settle in to a natural squatting position and rapidly kick your legs out behind you to end up in a pushup position.
- Perform a pushup if you can, working to stabilize your core as you remain holding onto the medicine ball.
- Return to the standing position, and repeat the exercise as fast as you can for 20 seconds total.
- Take 10 seconds rest.
- Get back on your next 20 seconds on/10 seconds off rotation for a total of 2 minutes!
3. One-Leg Bridge with Leg Lift
- Start in a bridge position with your right foot balanced comfortably on your medicine ball, and your left leg extended straight out lifted slightly above the ground.
- You must be sure to keep your body in a straight and inclined position, while engaging your glutes through continuous flexing.
- Next, lift your left leg straight up, ideally so it’s perpendicular to the floor (everyone has different flexibility ranges) and then lower that leg back down to its original starting position.
- Repeat the same series of motions until you’ve hit 20 seconds.
- Take 10 seconds rest; feel those hamstrings burn! Get back on the clock for another 20 seconds on/10 seconds off until you’ve tallied up 2 minutes total!
4. Wall Sit with Torso Twist
- Begin in the wall sit position, with your knees bent at 90 degrees, and hold your medicine ball straight in front of your chest.
- Maintaining that wall sit position, twist your torso to the right until the medicine ball makes contact with the wall, with your feet firmly planted and arms extended out straight.
- Then twist back to the left side, keeping the same pointers in mind.
- Your forearms will ache by the time you’ve reached 20 seconds!
- Take 10 seconds rest, regroup and get back at it until you’ve clocked a total of 2 minutes.
5. Lunge Cross Chops
Let’s take the heat off those forearms, and finish up your Tabata medicine ball workout with some hamstring heavy lunge cross chops!
- Begin in a standing position with the medicine ball overhead.
- Then, lunge forward on your right foot while making a conscious effort to not allow your left knee to come crashing into the ground.
- Bring your medicine ball down and across your front midsection, making a chopping motion towards your left foot.
- Lastly, bring the ball back over your head and return to the starting position.
- Repeat the motions on the same side until you’ve clocked 20 seconds.
- Take 10 seconds rest.
- Hit the other side for 20 seconds.
- Continue switching sides, 20 seconds on, 10 seconds off, until you’ve reached 2 minutes!
- And that’s a wrap. You just finished your all-new favorite 10-minute Tabata workout!