That jiggly area underneath your arms (also known as arm flab) is the bane of many women’s existence. But how do we get rid of arm fat and reduce arm flab?
Easier said than done. The two main culprits of arm flab are age and body fat, an while there’s little you can do about getting older, there are several toning exercises for arm flab that can help you sculpt lean, sexy arms.
Keep in Mind: If you are trying to reduce the size of your arms, the magic recipe to slim and tone is lower weight and high reps. So pick up some dumbbells and let’s get started!
What are the best exercises to get rid of arm flab?
1. Triangle Push-Up
According to the American Council of Exercise, one of the best exercises for arm flab is the triangle push-up.
Researchers at the University of Wisconson-La Crosse conducted a study by attaching electrodes (EMG) to womens’ triceps during various exercises to track their muscle activity and determine exercise effectiveness. In doing so, they discovered that the best exercise for arm flab is, in fact, the traditional triangle push-up.
- Start with your feet and hands in push-up position
- Now slide your hands together (making a triangle with index fingers and thumbs)
- Make sure your triangle is directly below your chest
- complete a three sets of 15 push-ups
- Tip: If you are having trouble completing the full push-up, try knee push-ups.
Your arms are now warmed up enough to turn up the intensity with tricep dips.
2. Tricep Dips
Grab a chair and get ready for tricep dips. This exercise engages the tricep muscles that run along the back of your arms.
- Start by sitting on a chair or ledge
- Position your hands on the edge of the chair
- Cross your legs straight in front for support
- Now lower yourself bending at the elbows
- Complete 15 reps with three sets in total
Move on from dips to tricep extensions by making use of weights.
3. Tricep Extensions
If you have dumbbells, this arm-flab blasting exercise is perfect for you. Grab your weights and get ready to work your arms. There are two separate versions of the tricep extension:
- Start by standing tall or sitting down on a bench with your with feet together
- Hold weights in each hand high overhead (elbows to your ears)
- Relax by bending your elbows and dipping the weights 15 times/three sets
- Start with your back and feet to the floor (knees bent)
- Hold the weights in either hand above your head (elbows slightly bent)
- Extend the arms forward until straight out in front for 15 reps/three sets
Feeling the burn yet? Let’s move on to tricep swings.
4. Tricep Swings
Now it’s time hit the floor and grab your dumbbells for tricep swings.
- Lie on the floor, flat on your back with your knees bent
- Holding a weight in each hand, extend your arms forward in front of you (parallel to the ground)
- Swing the dumbbells towards your head, one arm at a time
- Alternate arms by extending forward 15 reps on either side
- Rest and repeat for three sets
Almost there! Let’s get started on those bicep curls.
5. Bicep Arm Circles
The next motion makes use of dumbbells and incorporates a steady, slow motion for slimming arm flab.
- Stand or sit on a bench for this exercise
- Bend both elbows and hold close to waistline
- Extend one arm and weight to reach eye level
- Curl the weight towards your chest (as if beckoning someone towards you)
- Complete 15 reps on one side then switch, then repeat again once on each side
This next motion is similar to your regular kickback, but offers a twist.
6. Kickbacks With A Twist
The last motion makes use of the dumbbells to provide slow and steady resistance in the triceps.
- Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart and knees slightly bent
- Bend your back parallel to the floor with chest, neck, and head in line
- Hold the dumbbells in either hand and bend at the elbows
- Twist your palm facing the sky as you extend back
- Complete 15 reps and three sets
- 6 Simple Exercises to Get Rid of Jiggly Arms
- The #1 Exercise to Ditch Arm Flab
- 11 Best Exercises to Get Strong, Toned Arms