Women’s bodies go through a lot of changes as we age. Most notably, our muscle tone begins to decrease in our late 30s, and well into our 40s, 50s, and 60s.
The good news is that there are plenty of toning exercises for women over 40 to help keep you feeling youthful and strong.
Here are six of the best exercises for women over 40.
Also Read: Strength Training for Women Over 40
1. Side Crunches
- Lie down flat on your back, knees bent.
- Keeping your back flat on the ground, turn your knees over to one side.
- Then without bending your neck, begin to lift your upper body without bending your neck.
- Lower yourself down and repeat.
2. Fire Hydrants
- Get on all fours, with knees hip-width apart.
- Raise your right thigh and bring it into your chest as close as possible. After that, raise the same hip out to the side.
- Then kick that hip out behind you and lower it back down. Repeat using the opposite leg.
3. Triangle Press With Resistance Band
- Place your right foot in the resistance band, each end in your hands. Step out a few feet into a lunge.
- Place your left forearm on your left thigh and lean over for support.
- Extend your right arm overhead, stretching it diagonally over your body.
- Slowly get back into original position and repeat. Later repeat with the opposite side of your body.
4. Sumo Squats
- Stand up straight, feet slightly wider than shoulder-width apart, and feet pointed outwardly.
- Slowly lower into a squat, going as far down as you can.
- Slowly lift back up and repeat.
- Lie down on your stomach, forearms touching the ground and toes pointed straight down.
- Lift your body up using your forearms and use them and your toes to support your weight.
- Hold for a few seconds and then lower back down. Repeat.
6. Hammer Curls
- Stand up straight, knees hip-width apart and slightly bent. With palms facing inward, hold the dumbbells at your sides.
- Curl either one dumbbell up towards your chest or shoulder or curl both upward. Slowly lower the dumbbell(s) down and repeat, either with both dumbbells or with the opposite hand.