Here’s a workout routine you can really slide into.
Designed to be performed anywhere at anytime affordably, sliding-based exercises using gliders (or gliding disks) can help take your workouts to the next level.
Signup & Get Early Bird Access To Our Personal Fitness App
But before we go any further: What, exactly, are gliding disks or “gliders”?
Gliders are flat, plastic disks that slide on the ground and can be used to enhance enhance your lunges, planks, and more. They may sound (and look) a bit ridiculous, but have you ever tried to balance on a slippery, sliding object? They challenge every muscle by creating instability, effectively forcing you to work that much harder to maintain your balance.
You don’t even need to necessarily have gliders to try these gliding-based moves; folded up towels should also do the trick. Here some of our favourite glider-based moves.
1. The Bear Crawl
You might look a little silly performing this exercise, but it will tone your legs, core, and arms all at once. Plus, you will find your balance significantly improves with this motion.
- Get into a standard bear crawl position.
- Place a glider under each foot.
- Being to bear crawl around the room by walking your hands forwards and sliding your feet along the floor.
- Keep your arms straight and your core engaged. Once you reach the end of the room, turn and repeat.
- Complete three sets of 30 seconds of crawling before resting.
2. Reverse Glider Lunge
One of the best glider exercises for the legs and glutes, the reverse glider lunge takes an exercise that already builds those leg and glute muscles and adds an extra challenge: balancing. By pushing and pulling into and out of the lunge, your legs get double the work and double the muscle!
- Stand up straight in a lunge position, with your back leg on a glider.
- Dip/slide your back leg into a standard lunge position, then slidde your feet back together into an upright position.
- Complete three sets of 15 reps on each leg.
3. Body Saw
This exercise is small, but mighty. Your core, shoulders, arms and legs will all feel this one!
- Lower yourself into plank position with your toes on the gliders.
- Hold your feet in position and stay on your foreams.
- Gently shift/slide your bodyweight back and forth. It’s a very small movement, but highly effective for your core.
- Perform motion for one minute straight.
4. Glider Pike
Among one of the most popular glider exercises for abs, the glider pike takes your standard pike to the next level.
- Get into a push-up position with your toes on the glider.
- Pike your hips up towards the sky and then drop it down to neutral.
- Repeat motion 10 to 15 times for three set.
5. Mountain Climber
As if mountain climbers weren’t tough enough: Add some gliders into the mix to really amp up this core exercise.
- Begin in a push-up position with your toes on the gliders.
- Slide one knee in towards the opposite elbow.
- Repeat the same motion with the other knee, opposite elbow, keeping the knees always inside the elbows.
- Keep your hips in control (no bouncing).
- Do this motion in quick succession for a minute.
Leave a Reply