Swimsuit season is almost here, and you know what that means: time to tone and tighten our tushes! Whether you’re looking to sculpt, shrink or grow, it’s always good to have a goal in mind when it comes to your glutes.
Not all butt-shaping exercises are going to work for everyone across the board; you want to keep your particular booty aspirations in mind, and choose the specific exercises that will get you the results you want.
Without further ado, here are the best glute exercises for your specific butt type.
Butt Type: Loosey Goosey
Your behind fits easily into your favourite jeans… a little too easily, perhaps. If you find yourself wishing for a little more cushion back there, this move is for you. A little sag here, a little droop there.
The Move: Squat Pulses
A classic move with a tough variation that will give your butt some serious muscle.
- Begin standing with your feet shoulder-width apart.
- Make sure your entire body is facing forward. Your toes and knees should be in alignment, slightly pointing out. Keep your abdominal muscles flexed.
- Inhale and lower down, bending your knees as though you are about to sit in a chair. (You may have heard never to allow your knees to extend past your toes, but that is actually dependent both on what type of squat you are doing, as well as your unique body proportions.)
- Keep your back straight and your butt back and down.
- At the bottom of the squat, pulse four 8 counts before rising back up and starting again.
- Do as many reps as you can until failure. Then take a 30-second break, and repeat two more times.
Butt Type: Darling Dimples
Oh, your derrière has dimples from yo-yo dieting and sitting in a cubicle all day. Ugh. There is a solution. Aerobics, weight training, and interval training are all good for dimples. The key is to improve blood circulation to your glutes.
The Workout: Glute Kickbacks
The slower you go, the more you will tone. Do these every day, twice a day for maximum results. Grab the back of a chair for added stability, if needed.
- Stand tall, back straight and feet flat.
- Begin with feet hip-width apart and tummy tucked.
- Squeeze glutes as you move your left leg backward until you feel the burn.
- Complete 15 back kicks, then switch to right leg.
- Complete 15 reps to complete the circuit.
Butt Type: Cellulite City
Your butt looks like a community of cellulite. The city includes bumps, dips, humps, and potholes. It’s uneven and unsightly. Sure, you can use cellulite toning gels and creams. Save your money. Get your game on. Cellulite can be controlled with the proper workout.
The Workout: Side Lunge
Fitness gurus call the line where the hamstrings meet your glutes the ‘bum smile.’ Are you smiling, smirking, or frowning? The Fanny Sweep will wipe the frown right off your bum and keep you smiling.
- Grab a pair of dumbbells.
- Stand tall, with feet hip-width apart, knees slightly bent.
- Grip dumbbells overhand and hold at arm’s length, at thigh height.
- Bend at your hips, keeping lower back arched and parallel to the floor.
- Squeeze your glutes for a count of three.
- Gently thrust hips forward and return to start position.
- Repeat for six repetitions to complete the circuit.
Butt Type: Bubble Butt
Yeah, well, it might sound laughable, but having a bubble butt is nothing butt, we mean but, laughable. What to do? Don’t give up. If you workout daily and find that your bubble is not decreasing, then change up your workout. Incorporate a targeted hip raise to deflate your bubble. Remember to squeeze, squeeze, squeeze while doing this workout.
The Workout: One-Legged Glute Brides
Get off the exercise mat for this one. With patience and focus, you will see results. When completing this exercise, let your glutes do the work, not use your back or leg muscles to raise your hips. Avoid putting pressure on your lower back.
- Get comfortable on the floor, on your back.
- Bend your right knee and keep your left leg straight.
- Squeeze your abdominals while squeezing your glutes.
- Raise your body to form a straight line from knees to shoulders.
- Hold this position for five seconds.
- Return to starting position and repeat six repetitions.
- Repeat with left knee bent and right leg straight.
Whatever your butt type, find the workout that targets your challenges! Without intentional exercise, your butt will age and gravity will win in the end. Remember that proper diet goes hand-in-hand with exercise to tone and tighten your glutes. When you look in the mirror, love what you see, and take it to the beach.