Without a doubt, 2017 is the year of the gluteus maximus. Now, more than ever, a strong, defined butt is high on everyone’s fitness wish lists. And thankfully, unlike six-pack abs, a beautiful backside is relatively easy to achieve with the right diet and exercise.
Signup & Get Early Bird Access To Our Personal Training App
Most of us are not born with a gorgeous, muscular bubble butt – we have to work hard at maintaining our figure. These butt-busting moves will help you fight gravity and maintain toned, taut tushy.
So what are you waiting for? Tighten, tweak and firm your behind with these five exercises to get a bubble butt!
A key ingredient to a perfect behind, lunges will get you that lean, sculpted backside you desire. Longer lunges elongate and strengthen.
- Stay focused on correct posture, keeping back straight during each lunge forward.
- Do not twist or strain your lower back; do this exercise in a natural flowing motion.
- Standing with good posture, keep your knees, hips and shoulders all facing forward.
- Lunge forward with your right foot. Make sure your knee never extends past your toes.
- Complete 12 to 15 repetitions.
- Rest. Repeat.
Add dumbbells or a barbell for more intensity. Watch the video here.
2. Barbell Squats
The world of squats is filled with variations that can be modified to fit any body type or fitness level. Squats require balance, stability and posture. Form and technique are extremely important to avoid injury. To really carve out that bubble butt, you’ll want to use some resistance, either by adding dumbbells or a barbell to your squat.
- Begin standing tall with your feet hip-width apart.
- Position the barbell comfortably on your back, just above your shoulder blades. Your hands should be holding the bar just slightly wider than hip-width apart.
- Point your toes slightly outward, keeping your shoulders back.
- Squat down, as if sitting back in a chair, keeping your back straight and focusing on tension in your glutes. Never let your knees extend past your toes.
- Perform three sets of 12 to 15 repetitions.
3. Sumo Squats
This move works your quads, hamstrings, butt, and inner thighs.
- Stand wider than hip-width distance with your feet out at 45-degree angles.
- Sit back and lower down into a wide squat with your knees tracking outward.
- Once you get to the bottom of your squat, use your glutes to help bring you back up to standing for one repetition.
Add a kettlebell or weight to perform a goblet sumo squat for added resistance. Or try it on your tippy toes, if you want a bigger challenge!
4. Hip Bridge Pulses
There are many variations of hip bridges that work the glutes and core, because this basic move really works. Try these lifts and feel the burn.
- You know the drill. Lie on your back with your hips extended and feet on the ground.
- Lower your hips down and bring them back up.
- Pause at the top and pulse for 30 seconds before lowering back down.
- This counts for one repetition.
- Complete three rounds of 15 repetitions to achieve a good booty workout.
- Pulses help elongate the muscle contraction to fatigue the muscles.
5. Donkey Kicks
A good companion to squats, planks with donkey kicks will tone and lift multiple muscles (gluteus maximus, rectus abdominis, latissimus dorsi), helping to tone and firm. These kicks will strengthen your legs, core, lower back, as well as your buttocks.
- Begin on all fours with your hands shoulder width apart.
- Keep knees straight and in line with hips (like a donkey).
- Resting on your left knee, lift your right leg up and back.
- The bottom of your right foot will be parallel to the ceiling.
- Complete 12 repetitions.
- Rest, then repeat with left leg.
You can use a mat with this exercise to cushion knees. For added resistance, perform this exercise with a band — trust us, you’ll feel the burn. Learn how to do donkey kicks here.
There are a variety of exercises that will build a bubble butt. Walking and doing stair workouts are good exercises that helps to keep your butt firm. Begin at your fitness level. Consistency, perseverance, and discipline are all you need to get the body you want. Connect with a certified fitness trainer for proper technique and form for all exercises.