If toned hips and thighs are what you’re after, you’re better off skipping the clunky gym equipment. Instead, sculpt strong and sexy legs with these six, equipment-free exercises for inner thighs that you can do anywhere.
These effective inner-thigh exercises help blast fat while building muscle. Best of all, you can do all of these moves at home, without any gym equipment.
Extended Inner-Thigh Leg Lift
Extended leg lifts are a great way to start shaping and strengthening your inner thighs. This move demands focus and balance, engaging your thighs as well as your core.
- Lie on your right side on the floor with your head resting gently on your right arm and your legs extended out along the floor.
- Lift your left leg and place your foot on the ground near your midsection.
- Place your left hand on floor in front of your chest for light support; then pull your tummy in tight, and squeeze your inner thighs together.
- Begin lifting your right leg off the floor.
- Raise your leg slowly, as high as possible
- Hold for a moment, then return to the starting position.
- Perform three sets of 12 repetitions for best results.
- Repeat on the left side.
Side-Lying Double Leg Lift
A variation on the extended inner-thigh leg lift, a side-lying double leg lift will work the inner thighs while also targeting the outer thighs and obliques.
- Lie on your right side with your body in a straight line and your right arm extended to support your head and neck.
- Keep your legs stacked, with your knees and toes pointing directly forward.
- Place your left hand on the floor in front of your chest for light support. Pull your tummy in tight, and squeeze your inner thighs together.
- Keeping your legs glued together, slowly lift them off of the floor.
- Lift as high as possible while keeping legs together.
- Hold for one to two seconds, then slowly lower to floor and repeat.
- Do two sets of 15 reps on each side.
Side Lunge Thigh Stretch
Another powerful inner-thigh move is the side lunge. It’s great for toning the inner and outer thighs, and shapes your glutes and lower body, too.
- Begin standing with both feet together, with your arms resting at the sides of your body.
- Stretch your right leg straight out wide, to the side of your body, as you bend your left knee.
- Sink into the bent knee and hold for three counts.
- Return to the starting position and repeat with the other leg.
- Alternate sides for 15 reps.
Inner-Thigh Sumo Squats
Feel the burn with sumo squats, also known as grand plies. These are awesome inner-thigh toners and are extremely effective for shedding inner thigh flab.
- Begin by getting into a sumo stance (your feet flat on the ground, slightly wider than your shoulders, toes pointed out knees slightly bent).
- Keep your back straight, your chest lifted and your abs tight throughout the move.
- Squat down until your thighs are parallel to the ground, and inhale.
- Keep your weight on your heels throughout the exercise while maintaining straight posture.
- Push off with your heels at the bottom of your move, squeezing your glutes and inner thighs until you are back in the starting position.
- Exhale slowly on the way up.
Proper breathing creates internal pressure in the stomach and chest, which helps support your spine during the squat.
Side-Plank Leg Raises
Another leg lift variation, the side-plank leg raise challenges your entire lower body as well as your arms and core.
- Lie on your right side and prop your upper body up with your right arm.
- Extend your right leg straight out and point your toes.
- Bend your left knee and step your left foot flat on the floor just behind your right leg so that your hips stay stacked on top of each other in your plank position.
- Shift your weight into your left leg so that your right toe is lightly touching the floor.
- Squeeze your thighs together as you lift your right leg up to meet your left knee.
- Hold for one count and then lower. (That’s one rep).
- Do 15 reps with your each leg.
Body-Weight Low Lunges
This move is not just great for your inner thighs, but it also works your glutes, hamstrings, calves, core and quadriceps, resulting in more calories burned both during and after exercise.
- Stand with your feet hip-width apart and your arms by at your sides.
- Keeping your back straight and chest lifted, take a large step forward (about 3 feet) with the right foot and lower into a lunge until front thigh is parallel to floor.
- Place your both hands on floor on the side of your front foot.
- Push off right foot to start position.
- Repeat on the other side.
- For best results, do 3 sets of 10 reps on each leg performed three times per week.
The inner-thigh can be one of the easiest spots to gain weight and the hardest to lose it from. Whether you want to fit in a tight jeans or a bathing suit, these equipment-free exercises for the inner-thigh can help you achieve flab-free legs.