We all feel a little down sometimes.
And though many of us are able to pick ourselves up, it’s not always that simple for everyone else.
Some people can’t do this as quickly as others, and symptoms of depression linger for years in some severe cases.
It makes us wonder what causes these spells to come over us and completely take over our personalities where we become snappy, rude, or just flat out sad and crying uncontrollably.
Depression is one of those things that can be caused by a number of things, so you’ll have to work with your doctor to rule out certain things to arrive at a proper diagnosis.
Some common culprits are associated with the onset of depression symptoms. Let’s take a look at some of them.
Common Depression Causes
- Chemical imbalance: There are different types of chemicals in the brain that range from hormones, enzymes, and even neurotransmitters. Most commonly, those chemicals that become imbalanced are serotonin and norepinephrine.
Serotonin is a chemical that plays a pretty significant role in mood, emotions, and all-around well-being. Norepinephrine is a chemical that’s associated with our “fight-or-flight” process and the stress that comes along with it.
There can be other chemicals that become involved in the “imbalance”. These are the most common.
- Genetics: Even though you’re not guaranteed to have depression because it runs somewhere in the family tree, you’re three times as likely to have it if a parent or sibling does. It also takes some time to make itself know, not showing up until late adolescence.
- Stress: We’ve heard all of our lives that stress is bad for your health, and no lies were told. When you go through stints of chronic stress, it causes those chemicals in the brain to go through the imbalance we just spoke of.
Additionally, after this type of prolonged stress, it allows inflammatory proteins into the brain area and ultimately changes the brain in some ways.
- Medications: You’ve probably seen this on the back of your prescription and thought nothing about it, but some medications can cause depression as a side effect. (That along with about a dozen others) That’s because some medications can potentially change your brain chemistry in the process of doing its job.
- Irregular mood regulation in the brain: Hormonal imbalances, as well as chemical imbalances, are the primary cause of depression caused this way. Some conditions cause disruptions in mood regulation.
Different Parts of the Brain Play a Part
There are different areas of the brain that influence the onset of depression and the appearance of the symptoms. The amygdala, thalamus, and hippocampus all play a part in maintaining mood and other essential functions that relate to our overall mood and wellbeing.
Additionally, chronic depression has the ability to shrink different areas on the brain, such as the ones mentioned above, as well as the frontal lobes and prefrontal cortices.
What Can You Do About Depression?
Possible solutions vary from person to person, but some general things can help with depression symptoms. For those who just seem to fall into acute spells of depression, you might want to try getting outside and letting some sun rays shine down on you.
This might sound silly, but from a scientific point of view, most of us have been inside for more extended periods than usual, which means we’re missing out on valuable UV rays that provide beneficial amounts of vitamin D.
Another approach is listening to music that lifts you up and makes you dance. Music stimulates the brain and creates balance in those areas that become disproportionate.
It’s also a great idea to write down all the things you’re grateful for. This helps get things in perspective for a lot of people. Even if you’ve suffered from a challenging life situation, think about all the things you still have in your favor. There’s always a silver lining!
Then, there’s always CBD.
Many have turned to CBD to alleviate their depression symptoms, and it works!
CBD works naturally within the body and communicates with the central nervous system to balance some of those hormones and chemicals. This process relies heavily on the endocannabinoid system that we’re all equipped with.
The best part is that there are so many CBD products available on the market these days. Still, the most popular among those dealing with depression are CBD vape pens. Vape pens are discreet, convenient, and go to work very quickly!
And did we mention that CBD vape juices are delicious? Mouth-watering candy flavors like tropical punch, strawberry lemonade, or cotton candy––or simply keep it original with unflavored vape options.
There are tons of ways to fight back against depression––so don’t give up hope!
A Few Things To Remember
Millions of people deal with depression daily, so understand that you can manage and maneuver it with a little time and attention. You have to figure out ways to lift yourself out of that mindstate, and that takes a little practice.
Don’t be too hard on yourself, and don’t be afraid to reach out to family and friends if you need help!