Despite several hair removal options, many people still find it difficult to keep away unwanted hair. Plucking, shaving, and waxing are some of the most common methods to temporarily remove hair in different body parts. But with modern technology, new options are offering more permanent solutions, including laser hair removal. Laser hair removal is a new treatment and most people are concerned about its safety. If you’re interested in learning more about this method, check out this site.
What is Laser Hair Removal?
This method is done by a trained professional in their clinic. Hair follicles are exposed to laser light and the laser burns the hair follicles, destroying them and preventing growth. The success of the procedure is sometimes affected by the patient’s hair color and skin type. It is most effective for people with hair that’s darker than their skin color. This is because darker hair pigment absorbs more light than light-colored hair.
Is Laser Hair Removal Safe?
As you prepare your body for summer, you look at your bikini line and there’s unwanted hair. Otherwise, you’re good to go. Laser hair removal is an option you can take.
People using this hair removal remedy find it safe and convenient. Since laser hair removal was introduced, there have been no observed long-term health issues related to it. However, some people may experience minor side effects after undergoing the procedure.
A patient should request their practitioner to perform a skin patch test before proceeding to a wider area of the skin. Always seek treatment from a certified professional.
What About Different Hair and Skin Colors?
To ensure the effectiveness and safety of laser hair removal, the procedure uses different kinds of laser. This also helps address the differences in hair colors among patients. Here are the types of lasers and the best skin or hair color for each one:
- Ruby: This is the first kind of laser designed for hair removal, which is best used on people with pale skin and thin hair.
- Diode: This kind works on different wavelengths, which can be changed according to the patient’s hair and skin color. This laser light is said to work best for patients with pale to medium skin.
- Alexandrite: This type of laser has a short wavelength and is best used for removing unwanted hair from large areas of the body such as the legs. Such type is highly recommended for patients with olive skin.
- Nd:YAG: This kind of laser works with longer wavelengths of light, which are designed to neglect the dark pigment of the skin. It directly targets the hair follicles, making it very effective for patients with dark skin.
- IPL or Intense Pulsed Light Therapy: This is not actually laser, but still uses light energy to remove unwanted hair from patients with light-colored hair.
Are There Other Benefits?
Laser hair removal is already practiced in most dermatology and beauty clinics worldwide. It became widely accepted by patients because of the following additional benefits:
- Efficient: This hair removal option is more efficient compared to other methods. A session will last only for a minute and you’d need about six to eight sessions to see results depending on the area of body part concerned.
- Caring: Shaving, waxing, and plucking can also remove unwanted hair, but it can hurt the skin, too. Sometimes, you experience cuts, nicks, irritated, or chicken skin, especially around areas like the bikini line and underarms. Waxing can also result to ingrown hair, which can become infected and painful. Laser hair removal, on the other hand, can let you avoid these skin irritations.
- Fast: Each laser pulse takes only a fraction of a second to treat numerous hairs at once. For each area, the laser only spends a quarter of a second to burn the hair follicles. Smaller areas such as the underarms or the upper lip can take only seconds to treat.
- Precise: This technique can remove hair from various parts of the body including the underarm, bikini line, arm, face, legs and other places. It can precisely target the hair follicles without harming the skin surrounding it.
- Saves Time: Traditional hair removal remedies like plucking and shaving takes precious time from your day and, sometimes, setting appointments for waxing can be tiresome and costly. With laser hair removal, each session is so short, it allows you to have more time for other things.
Although laser hair removal is an effective way to remove hair from different body parts, a few of these hairs can grow back over time. This treatment is safe for everyone because it uses a variety of laser tools for every hair and skin color. If you’re interested to have this hair removal option, contact a health professional first. Although the treatment comes with minimal risks, it’s better to get the go signal from your doctor first.